This page last updated: December 21, 2012 as of Jan 2014
- Put an 1.8" TFT adafruit LCD display on-in the side of a boxcar and display changing bitmaps. Do it as a billboard with a
adafruit 2.2" display for along track side entertainment. Use a
adafruit 10" LCD display on the side of a building for a Blade Runner Coca-Cola ad. No real code or instructions, just buy from Lady Ada and follow those instructions. My code is at Sourceforge .. tho it IS really Lady Ada code with minor changes provided by Bill on the forums for displaying a LOT of bitmaps rather than 1.
- Boxcar... fits behind a double door so they can be closed when it is off ... You Tube video
- Billboard... will not have a You Tube video as it will be showing Coca Cola ads... and images gleaned from the internet...
- Blade Runner Coca-Cola ad building... will not have a You Tube video as it will be showing Coca Cola ads...
Land_LCD How To:
- The boxcar LCD is in Horizontal while the LCD is designed as a Vertical display. The bitmaps must be rotated Clockwise and end up being 128X x 160Y 24 bit BMP files that are displayed horizontal. TFT size : 1.35" x 2.2" x 0.25"
- The 1.8" (1.35"H) barely fits in a standard boxcar, the 2.2" (1.57"H) might fit in an overheight boxcar... None made with opening doors AFAIK.
- An Accurail 5900 50' double door boxcar was modified so the doors open by glueing styrene strips to make rails for the doors to slide on and keep the doors from falling off. Glue some styrene strips to support the LCD against the inside of the boxcar. This was made so the Lipo was against the LCD... That actually makes the boxcar weight lopsided .. so currrently the Lipo is on the other side of the boxcar and stuffed against the Arduino with added styrene braces. O Well. Benefit from my mistake :)
- Billboard: Still need to build the billboard portion, it looks like the boxcar one, just a little larger. The code works. This is in a protective case from a watch. It wil do untill it is built into a building or mounted as a roadside billboard.
- After realizing the LCD was vertically oriented the Billboard became vertical too. The images to be displayed on MY billboard were vertically oriented anyway : portrait rather than landscape images.
2.2" diagonal LCD TFT display 240X x 320Y LCD Dimensions: 55.23mm / 2.17" x 40mm / 1.57" x 2.46mm / 0.09"
Board is 2 5/8 x 1 5/8 x ?<3/8 depending on how you solder the connection
HO 18 feet tall about 2 stories...
- Blade Runner Coca-Cola ad building: No picture as i aint got one yet.
- 1200 x 800 Visible area: 217mm x 135mm 16:10
Display dimensions: 9"x5.9"x0.2" ; 230mm x 150 x 5.2 mm
HO 65 feet tall about 6 stories tall... OR NOT as it is a TV so it is Horizontal and thus 9" Wide x 5.9" Tall so ~44' tall so about 4 HO stories. ... So not really a Blade Runner Coca-Cola ad building as it was Tall not Wide...
- Might be easier to use a tablet in Vertical mode and make a slide show with sound...
Copyright © 1991..2014 by Ivan Lee Herring