This page last updated: December 21, 2012 as of July 2014
Train_Oil The Oil tanker ship offloads oil to the refinery. Processed oil is loaded into train cars.
- Oil tanker ship offloads oil
- ...really only need a link to that page...
Shell oil tank ... the initial build of the refinery. Model Power kit - did not have decals, just printed paper to glue to the tank; other than that it was ok. I added a blinking LED to the top, just for blinkies.
- 'Roxana' refinery
- Model Power Shell oil tank kit... thought it was an expanding gasoline tank. Thought the Walthers was too. :( Will bash one from ice cream cartons and motorize it to have the tank top and top side raise and lower on command. There are 2 types : 1 has only the top go up and down inside stationary walls, the other has the walls move up and down as the level changes... the ones with all the outside supports are the ones that have the walls move too.
- Walthers kits : United Petroleum refinery, piping kit(s), loading platform, gasoline tank
- United Petroleum refinery...
- Step 1 of 8... Walthers United Petroleum kit Step 1 of 8 241 became 120M. Used a Xuron micro shear to cut the brass parts from the sprue. A rat tail file to clean them up. Normal cut and clean the plastic parts. Glued them in place with Testors and then used Cyro to glue them permanently. Glued them on a piece of glass and used a flat tip X-Acto #17 to clean the glue off of the glass. Am waiting till step 4 to glue the supports to the platforms. [the manual shows the supports upside down except for the view of the platform being upside down]...
- Step 2 of 8... Walthers United Petroleum kit Step 2 of 8 89k became 43k. Cut the parts off and trim the flash. Glue the heat exchangers together and paint them. Glue the covers and things onto the 2 sides. Dry fit the parts and glue them together in a frenzy.
- Step 3 of 8... Walthers United Petroleum kit Step 3 of 8 106k became 49k. order changed to make assembly easier. Glue the main tubes together and paint them. Glue the covers onto the tubes. Glue the base pipes in place to the base, Glue the tubes to the base, Glue the down tubes to the minor tubes. Glue the stand and 4 pipes together and to the heating section #32. Glue the vertical 4-pipe to the cracking tower. Use a square to make the tubes stand up straight while glue sets.
- Step 4 of 8... Walthers United Petroleum kit Step 4 of 8 123k became 62k. Follow the directions. Use the pipes to assure alinement and positioning. Visually align the platforms so the ladders will be placed correctly. Glue #56 before #62 to make good contact. The hoist is glued at the furthest ends of the beams.
- Step 5 of 8... Walthers United Petroleum kit Step 5 of 8 115k became 54k. The ladders and cages can be prepainted on both sides as they do not touch the towers much and several are in the open with the back exposed. The ladder-cage connecting areas will need to be scaped of paint so the glue will adhere. Ladder #116 DNE it is #101. Ladder #97 might need the platform modified to fit - mine did. Ladder # 104 needs to be glued and then the cage glued on, most of the others can have the cage glued to the ladder and then both glued to the towers.
- Step 6, 7 and 8 of 8... Walthers United Petroleum kit Step 6 7 8 of 8 96k became 49k. Not much to say, clean the sprue flash for a good fit. My kit had 7 ladders, 2 round silver platforms, 3 pipes, 2 manhole covers, and several platform suports unused. The cover photo has different railing than the brass supplied. I drilled holes for mounting LEDs from battery operated 'flame' tea lights to simulate fire in the furnace.
- Electrical arc light fire in the furnace are battery tea lights that automatically 'twinkle' ... will strip off the LEDs and wire to a 4.5V DC source. Might use 1 'flame' in the smokestack.
Walthers United Petroleum kit weathered
- Weathering and final detailing...
- piping kit, loading platform... really just add on things for complexity on the layout.
- There are two different piping kits... and it seems it takes two loading platforms to make one that does not look half-assed.
- 933-3114 Refinery piping kit; 933-3105 piping kit; 933-3170 Oil pump kit; 933-3104 40' oil loading platform kit; 933-3197 storage tanks kit; 933-2908 diesel fueling facility kit; 933-3129 propane tanks kit; 933-3011 Central gas and supply...
- 933-2978 Energy center kit; 933-2976 processing center kit; 933-3736 modern fire escape kit; 933-3510 wall mount dust collector kit... other interesting kits for use here or elsewhere and detailing.
- gasoline tank... thought it was an expanding gasoline tank...
- Bashed items : an expanding tank made from ice cream cartons, a refinery tower made from a mop handle, numerous 'towers' and tall tanks made from spray cans and stuff.
- ... and a motorized oil pump
- Processed oil is loaded into train cars ... this is where the loading platform is to be used.
- Athearn has a 'tank car' release... a train of cars made to be a unit train with tubing connecting all the cars so they can be filled and emptied all at once - from one connection. They sure sold out fast :(
Train_Oil To Do:
- make a tar man rise uo out of the goo...
- Make piping have hollow tubes with inner tubing that will allow transfer of liquid from ship to tank farm... doubt the tank cars will be loaded... could be intricate to have it load acetone into a track cleaning car...
Copyright © 1991..2014 by Ivan Lee Herring