This page last updated: December 21, 2012 as of Jan 2018
- Landscape Dioramas
- Movie scenes
- King Kong, Time machine, Sneakers setac astronomy, Star Trek Wars, Road Warrior, Ghostbusters, Soylent Green, Omega man, Wild Wild West water tower and train .. also modeling for the Shady Rest, ROTLD, Beatlejuice, Tank Girl, Resident Evil, Alien Species hybrid, Buckaroo Banzai, etc... These are mini-dioramas worked into the scenery.
Before , After landscaping
- Devolved from Psycho, 2,3,4 ...
- Polar Lights Bates Mansion from Psycho 1:87 Scale Model Kit $27.99 ... Bates Mansion. It is made in several colors and can be easily painted with a gray-brown wash to make it look distressed like the movie mansion.
- Blueprints for Bates Mansion from Psycho... Bates Mansion blueprints. The movie shot all the inside scenes on soundstage, only the outside views were done at the mansion location. Still it seems they could have paid enough attention not to have 30..60' jumps when going through doors up and down stairs. There are serious attic and basement displacements.
- Lights ... an 8 position DIP switch allows variable selection. They are all ganged in the dining room into the DIP switch.
1. Mrs. Bates
2. Bathroom (pink)
3. Hallway between and betwixt
4. Normans room
5. Parlor Piano
6. Front porch
8. Kitchen door (blue)
- Diorama base
- 32x32" plywood with pink styrofoam landscape ...
- Motel is simulated using Blair Line's 'Sunset Motel' ... 2 will be needed (1 more) to make 12 rooms as the kit has 8 rooms - 2 sets of 4... not exactly like Bates Motel, they are made for level ground, not sets of 2 stepping downhill. phone booth at corner of rooms (for Red to be stabbed in) - corner has a space to walk behind and an area behind rooms. There is a Model A and piles of trash back there.
- Paint the motel while still on the sprues. Paint BOTH sides (if possible - stick-em does not need back side painted - the stick-em keeps it flat.) so it will not warp. Mark the side of the roof that is to be down - the roofing stick-em only goes 1 way correctly - so test to see which way is up.
- Motel is also set for the Sun God motel from Vampires
- The back of the diorama has a photo from Dusk till Dawn of the Mayan pyramid
- Trees - vegetation - planters on corners of stairs, swamp w/ sinking car - BeetleJuice Winona Ryder doing Jump In The Line .. Shake Senora as she rises up next to the staircase ... etc... TBD
- Cars sinking in the swamp ... undecided - so they will be interchangeable :) will make 'froth' on the edges to hide the line.
- P1 Marion Crane Marion's white 1957 Ford Custom 300 sedan .. pulled out (1959 Ford is currently seen in many photos and on the 'Universal Tour' - the movie car was a 1957 with different headlights and tail lights)
private detective Milton Arbogast ?light colored Mercury?..not shown sinking, but Norman is seen at the swamp with that bubbly froth in the background...
- P2 motel's new manager, Warren Toomey light colored Mercury ___?.. pulled out ...
- P3 Norman drives Duane's car ?beat up ___? into the swamp with Duane and Patsy's bodies in it .. Red is seen deep down in swamp- unusual- how did he get it way out there? ...
- P4 -recalls- killing two women ... young girl -dark car sunk-swamped?? .. older lady -her Buick Belvedere into swamp -she awakens (repeatedly) and is heard drowning...
- Poured the resin and it did not dry and leaked out onto Everything :( Shelf life is a negative number - if the hardener is tan or anything except clear - it has gone BAD and will never harden. Mix and use in 80+ degree area, store in cool darkness. Made a foam cover with a slit in it to push the cars through.
- TBD: Make the motel sign light up, put people, furniture, and LEDs in the motel cabins and the Sunset office (made the roofs so they can be taken off), ...
Munsters house : Before, After build to show the modifications
Munsters house : Base & Upside down top, After build to show the modifications
- Model kit was all white so much painting was required. Tabbed-slot construction made it very sturdy - although that required glueing it together almost all at once so the pieces could be positioned into their slots. The walls can be removed from the base to view the first floor and the roof removed to display the second floor... there are many wires strewn inside so not really able to do an interior on this one. The stairs are in the open position so LEDs imitate Spot the dragon being in there. All the new SMD LEDs make for interesting possibilities. Given miniaturized soldering and wiring (magnet wire) techniques the lights could be done as actual house lights... by a young someone that still has near vision and steady hands.
- House modified but still the movie cannot fit in the house ... Herman even gives a broken wall wink when they are doing that run in-out doors along a hallway routine- one side of the hallway would open over the stairs:)
- Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet
- Polar Lights : Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet...
- Many LEDs, Arduino and a sound card ... should have used thinner wires, the green stuff is 'GB liquid tape' to insulate the wiring. 3 LEDs in the top of the head are RGB auto changers connected to DC input.
The sound card and Arduino have their programming side poking out the bottom of the top half of Robbie in an upside down view. Arduino code is at Sourceforge. That is it for me, I will wait for the nanobots to make one with all the bits moving and flashing like the real one.
- Metal Earth Millenium Falcon 2015 jan31... Star Destroyer 2015 April23... inside wiring
- HO scale Millenium Falcon 2016 jan11...Mini me (not HO) / Star Wars AT-AT 2016 jan11... Snow Speeder
- AMT/ERTL kit stock #38322 with a Han and Chewie figure ... Revell Snap kit with an included light and sound device
- ToysRus U-Command AT-AT with remote control ... Hot Wheels Snow Speeder
- The AMT kit ranged from near snap tite to very hard to align parts. There was much flash to trim. Assembly would be easier if the top was positioned and held-squeezed together with many clamps or vises, then glued with a liquid glue like Plastruct Plastic Weld that would seep into the connwected areas. It was much harder the way I did it with Testors glue, which was great except for that last step.
- ToysRus U-Command AT-AT with remote control comes assembled in a box, just add batteries and play with it. The remote control works great and the walker walks on FLAT SMOOTH surfaces, a rug would trip it like a Snow Speeder cable.
- The Revell Snap kit is a toy for a child to play with and not HO scale. ... The Hot Wheels Snow Speeder is there to be next to the AT-AT - it is close to HO scale but the cockpit does not open so there is no way to put in a figure.
- Star Wars minifigs Lego is not even close to 1/87 SO All that neat stuff they do is ignored :(
- Land_Dioramas Star Wars minifigs 2016-02-12 Jedi...
- Removed the hat from the Gray guy and the helmet from the Red guy and painted black hair on them to resemble Rey and Finn....
- Land_Dioramas Star Wars minifigs 2016-02-12 First Order...
- There was no Chrome girl - just a white storm trooper :(
- Resident Evil vehicles
- Resident Evil vehicles... None actually correct, in various scales, and crudely detailed ... placeholders...
- Someday there will be 1/87 scale vehicles and nanobots to wire them.
- Wishing Well
- Arduino turning a full rotation servo.
- The twisted metal is what flatted my tire. It seems to maybe be a wheel edge that got scraped off on a curb. On the side are people sitting and swimming in the resin water.
- Someday there might be LEDs glowing inside and shining though into the water...
Landscape Dioramas To Do:
Copyright © 1991..2018 by Ivan Lee Herring