This page last updated: December 21, 2012 as of February 2017
Rotary Dumper Steel mill : coal Building instructions
The code is posted to SourceForge : there is a subset that has only the Arduino code - that is all you need - the Rotary Dumper code. The Main download has Delphi code for the Missile launcher.
My plans on building several dumpers, using knowledge gained and an Arduino micro controller are here .
- Standard rotary dumper for unit train gondolas carrying coal; except that the rails have not been shortened, they are the same length as the wood chip dumper.
- Positioner is a VEX mechanism with a servo glued to it to grab the car coupler. There is a servo on stilts across from that to hold the cars while the positioner relocates - it lifts up when the positioner grabs a car.
Coal in train cars from mine floodloader
is transported up and delivered to be rotary dumped into conveyor into ship loader into ship. Ship sails to distant port. Then the ships conveyor unloads at dock into conveyor-flood loader that loads train cars for delivery to steel mill rotary dumper and from there the coal is conveyored down into the mine flood loader.
- Add a styrene section to top of coal cars to make them the same height as the wood chip cars. Added height will make the dumper easier to make and have locomotives drive through.
- July 2013 Plan to use a B unit that does Not have a cab nor dynamic brakes - so it Can drive through a normal height dumper...
- As of November 2016 I have re re decided to make the cars taller. The loco locomotive looked too stupid even for me. So any locomotive can drive through and decouple after the positioner takes over moving the cars.
Chrome cars must have corner removed and the paint scraped off. Black cars seem to be black plastic so only the corners have to be removed. Glue on the rails and paint to match the car.
Copyright © 1991..2017 by Ivan Lee Herring